Friday, July 25, 2014

Summer of Untrieds Week 2

I've been sooo busy at work and with the shop that I haven't had time to keep up with the Summer of Untrieds Challenge posts.  I've been doing them every day and posting them on my Instagram account, but I haven't posted them here.  That being said, I'll be playing a little catch up the next few days!  So, let's get started!

Here are the prompts and the rules:



Rules:



  • Use at least 1 untried polish that fits with the prompt for the day.
  • If you don't have anything that works with the prompt, then consider it a free day and choose a random untried from your stash.
  • There won't be an inlinkz, so keep up with the group by tagging your photos #summerofuntrieds.  I've also been including #julyuntriedchallenge in my posts, so you can add that too if you want.  Also, feel free to add a tag to me if you'd like (either @blueeyedlawyer or #wishesofablueeyedgirl).
  • Start crossing off those untrieds in your stash!

July 8: Glitter with Colored Base

I wore NerdLacquer Warrior Ethos with an accent of Alter Ego's Nymph of the Night.  I did this for a #RedCoatTuesday, so go and check out the full post here.


July 9: Lilypad Lacquer


I wore Violet Moon and Almost Famous on alternating nails.  I loved these two together, and they both applied flawlessly.  They both had pink flashes that really brought the look together, which is why I wore them both.  However, sadly, the pink flash in Violet Moon was impossible to pick up with my camera, but it's very apparent in person.  Both polishes only took three coats and dried quickly.  I purchased these directly from Lilypad Lacquer at her store here.


July 10: Purple


This is Peita's Polish Wendy with accents of Lynnderella Is it Warm In Here?  Wendy is a warmed toned purple with a strong pink flash.  It applied very easily in only two coats, and dried quickly with a coat of KBShimmer's Clearly on Top.  It removed without staining, too, which is sometimes an issue for me with purples.  IiWiH is a clear base with a strong purple shimmer loaded with matte glitters in white and neons.  It wasn't that hard to get the glitters out of the bottle, and the consistency was nice with even application.  I purchased both of these straight from the makers: Peita's Polish and Lynnderella.


July 11: Summer


For my summer themed polish, I used a few polishes whose names, and colors, reminded me of summer.  I used Model City Polish Walking on Sunshine, a sunny yellow holo, and OPI Strawberry Margarita, a bright pink creme, as base colors and topped with Lacquistry's Watermelon Baller Shot Caller, a glitter topcoat packed full of shades of pink, green, and black matte glitters.  Strawberry Margarita took three coats for full coverage and dried fairly quickly.  It applied evenly and didn't require much cleanup.  Walking on Sunshine is in four coats as it is a tad sheer.  Application was fairly easy, and the patchy first coat builds up well with further coats.  Watermelon Baller is one coat with a great glitter to base ratio.  The glitters were easy to get out of the bottle and spread well.  You can purchase OPI polishes at salons and beauty supply shops.  You can purchase Model City Polish here and Lacquistry here.


July 12: Glitter Crelly


The glitter crelly I chose to wear, 365 Days of Color's Summer Dream, was from my friend Jen over at Jen's Nail Files who gave it to me in my birthday group!  I chose to pair it with Elevation Polish Lys Glacier.  Summer Dream is a minty green crelly with a lovely rainbow of hex glitters in varying sizes.  I wore three coats without undies, and it applied fairly easily, if not a tad thick.  Lys Glacier is a taupe-ish purple with a pink to gold shifting shimmer.  I wore three coats alone, and it was super easy to apply.  Sadly, 365 Days of Color has decided to stop selling nail polish so she can focus on her insanely popular (and super awesome) hand care line, but you should still check her out at her store here.  Lys Glacier has been discontinued, but you can purchase other EvPs at her store here.


July 13: China Glaze


I chose to wear varying shades of blue for my China Glaze mani, so I chose Strap on Your Moon Boots with accents of Kaleidoscope Him Out.  I know that the Hologlam collection was a huge disappointment for a lot of people who were hoping that the recent China Glaze collection would be an answer to the hugely popular and long discontinued OMG collection.  There were clearly batch issues as several people had bottles with very little holographic pigment.  I, however, received a set with very high holographic pigmentation as you can see in this photograph.  I used three horrible coats of SOYMB to cover up the patches and balding spots.  It is pigmented enough to be opaque in one or two coats, but the application was so horrible that I was forced to use three coats to cover up the unevenness.  You can see in my photos, that it was also extremely difficult to clean up, and there were still stains on my cuticles after I did my cleanup routine.  My bottle of KHO was from a dusty hunt, so it's old and a bit thick.  I used three coats of KHO because it was actually fairly sheer.  Cleanup was relatively easy as well.  Both of these have been discontinued, but you can purchase China Glaze polishes at beauty supply stores.


July 14: Neon


It's hard to get much more neon than Illamasqua's Collide.  I decided to pair Collide with a special franken from a friend that I received in a indie maker/hobbyist group swap.  Collide is a bright neon pink polish that can be worn alone (on my thumb) or over white (on my index and pinkie).  Application was fairly easy, but it works much better in two coats over white versus four coats alone.  Even with the four coats, it was still relatively easy to see my nail line.  The little franken is a lovely neon pink with black glitters.  I wore this in two coats over Cult Nails Tempest.  You can purchase Illamasqua polishes at Sephora.

So, that was week two.  Which was your favorite?  Did you participate?  There's still one more week left to play, and I'd love to see your manis!

No comments:

Post a Comment