Thursday, April 10, 2014

Golden Oldies Thursday: Coral

Ok, so now that I'm back on track with the Golden Oldie Thursday Challenge, let's take a look at this week's theme - Coral.  I don't own too many corals, so I was about to have to pull out something that wasn't quite a year old.  And then I had an epiphany!  I have the perfect coral that I've only worn once!  Enchanted Polish Shrimp Cocktail!  Yes, my bottles are half gone, but that's because I love my friends and try to share whenever I can.  Ok, let's hop to it!

Here is the GOT Polish schedule of events if you would like to follow along or participate.



Remember the rules:

  • The polish you use must be at least a year old.
  • If you haven't been a polishaholic for that long, you can use the oldest polishes you have.
  • The polish should be previously used, but if you're stuck, you can use a polish from your untrieds stack.
  • You can use more than one polish as long as it fits the rules.
I purchased all polishes in this post.



Shrimp Cocktail


Color:  Red leaning coral with a gold shimmer (my photos make it look a little more orange than it really is, but I couldn't fix it with my camera settings...)
Finish:  Shimmer – a polish that shimmers in the light due to fine particles that refract light.


Bottle / Brush:  Rectangle bottle - smooth cap makes for easy opening versus the ribbed caps on Lynnderellas and Elevations.  The wand is the standard length, but the brush is a little too thin to pick up large / shaped glitter without fishing.  The brush's width is also an issue for spreading.  It doesn't fan out and pretty much requires you to dab polishes that are densely packed with glitter.
Opacity:  Medium – achieves opacity at three to four coats.
Glitter Application:  N/A
Consistency:  Medium – applies easily and doesn’t flood the cuticles.
Overall Ease of Application:  Easy – applies well without pooling, dragging, streaking, or balding.  Spreads evenly and smoothly.


Stampability:  Not tested for stamping.
Dry Time:  Quick – dry to the touch without smudging in under 3 minutes.
Overall Thoughts:  This is a lovely coral that applies easily without any cleanup, really.  This is three coats, but I can still see visible nail line, so I'd probably do four next time.  I was in a rush, though, and wanted to get everything dry before bed.  The shimmer is gorgeous and is simply lovely in the light.  I'm still wearing it, and it's going strong even after a day of cleaning the house and making polishes!  I am interested to see if it stains, though, because it's such a bright color.



Flamingo Freckles
Color:  Clear base with a sprinkling of scattered holographic pigment, purple iridescent shards, red and hot pink hexes in varying sizes.
Finish:  Glitter Top Coat – glitter in a clear base to be worn as a top coat.


Bottle / Brush:  Rectangle bottle - smooth cap makes for easy opening versus the ribbed caps on Lynnderellas and Elevations.  The wand is the standard length, but the brush is a little too thin to pick up large / shaped glitter without fishing.  The brush's width is also an issue for spreading.  It doesn't fan out and pretty much requires you to dab polishes that are densely packed with glitter.
Opacity:  Glitter topcoat – not designed for full opacity.


Glitter Application:  Medium – requires the dab method, but glitters are easy to extract and spread evenly.
Consistency:  Fluid – thin but flows easily from the brush.  Floods the cuticles a little bit, but not very badly.
Overall Ease of Application:  Medium – applies well with minimal pooling, dragging, streaking, or balding.  Spreads well without much manipulation.
Stampability:  Not designed for stamping.


Dry Time:  Medium – dry to the touch with minimal smudging in 3-8 minutes.
Overall Thoughts:  This polish is way more awesome than I had imagined it would be...  The scattered holo was a surprise as I didn't really see it in the bottle.  On the nail, though, it's just stunning.  I was able to get the glitters out of the bottle easily and they spread easily on the nail.  I did have a bit of issues with pooling, but I think that's more of a user error than issue with the polish.  I also love how it pairs with Shrimp Cocktail.  It's like they were made for one another!

You can purchase Flamingo Freckles exclusively at Mei Mei's Signatures.  Shrimp Cocktail may or may not be released again via one of Enchanted's etailers like Mei Mei, but it hasn't been at her main store in quite some time.

1 comment:

  1. You really are the most generous! -hugs my Flamingo Freckles decant-

    ReplyDelete