Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Pretty Little Liars: Zoya Sookie

Wow.  If you live in the southeastern portion of the US, please stay safe.  While, yes, it looks absurd to the people in the rest of the country that we can't figure out how to drive on icy and snowy roads.  But let me remind everyone, especially those who normally drive on slick roads in areas that are usually more prepared to handle this stuff, the states in the southern part of the US do not have the infrastructure to handle these conditions.  We get a snow or ice maybe once every two or three years, so it's hardly economically responsible or feasible to have droves of plows and sand/salt trucks ready at the drop of a hat.  I lived in Boston for 4 years for law school, so I definitely know what it's like to drive in snow.  However, you really can't drive when you get a little bit of ice or snow in Georgia.  It's also stupid to drive like a maniac during this crap, so just stop.  Think about all of those kids stuck at school because they couldn't get home. Think about all of those people who have been stuck in traffic for going on nine hours, including my family and very good friends, and remember - if you don't have to be on the road THEN DON'T GO OUT.  Sorry, I'm just so angry about this whole thing that should have been avoided by the state calling school off for the day today.  Uuuugh.  Ok, I'm going to make my bitter Betty butt drink my hot buttered bourbon (ran out of rum, le sigh) and get down to nail polish business.

Are you a fan of Pretty Little Liars?  It's one of my guilty pleasures, but I've only watched it on Netflix.  I'm not caught up on last season, so no spoilers!  Today, I decided to join a few other bloggers and nail-enthusiasts for what we call #RedCoatTuesday!  The rules are easy: 1) paint your nails red.  2) Add a design if you want, but make sure it's still predominantly red.  If you want to join in, let me know and I can get you the inlinkz!  So, I'm going to combine my PLL mani with a review of the polishes I used - Zoya Sookie and Kiss Black Striper!  Let's get started!


*I was not financially compensated for this post.  All items in this review were purchased by me for my own use.  The opinions are completely my own based on my experience.  For more information, please see my Disclosure Policy in the tab above.*



Color: Bright candy red crème
Finish: Crème – a flat polish that finishes smooth with full opacity.



Bottle / Brush: Tapered bottle and cap - bottle tapers from a fat top to a smaller bottom making it a little harder to hold if you hold your bottles while you paint.  The tapered cap actually makes for easier application as it's shorter than most caps, but provides enough length to help guide application without being too wide where you grip it.  The wand and brush are a little short, but they have average application.
Opacity: Medium – achieves opacity at three coats.  I could have done only two coats, but I did three to make sure it doesn't look bad in photos.



Glitter Application:  N/A
Consistency: Medium – applies easily and doesn’t flood the cuticles.



Overall Ease of Application: Easy – applies well without pooling, dragging, streaking, or balding.  Spreads evenly and smoothly.
Stampability:  Not tested for stamping.



Dry Time:  Quick – dry to the touch without smudging in under 3 minutes.



Overall Thoughts:  Sookie is a gorgeous candy red polish that applies so easily and dries with a high gloss without topcoat.  It's also got a pretty quick dry time on its own, and I'm not sure wearing a topper was even a good idea since it caused a bit of chipping and shrinking at the edges.  I used the Kiss black striper to add the A, which was pretty easy for both my dominant and non-dominant hands.  The thick coat of KBShimmer Clearly on Top didn't cause the striper to smear at all, which was great!  Unfortunately, as I mentioned above, I did have a bit of tip wear and shrinking after only a day of wear.  It's still a super pretty mani, and it was really nice to wear something so understated - even if it is red!  It reminded me that I really should introduce a plain creme into my mani every once in a while!

I purchased Sookie at Zoya's online store and the Kiss at the grocery store.  So, what do you think?  Are you a PLL fan?  Take a look below at the other gorgeous #RedCoatTuesday manis! 

No comments:

Post a Comment